Combination of Putnam County, IL 262 Acres & 320 Acres
This 262-acre Putnam County farm has been setup for some of the finest waterfowl and deer hunting opportunities you will find in Illinois. The current owner worked directly with Ducks Unlimited to design and establish the 5 wetland cells that can be flooded with one pumping station.
The individual wetland cells create a unique opportunity to establish a great diversity in your wetland feed. The wetlands can be flooded at different time frames giving you the opportunity to control when and where ducks will be feeding throughout the hunting season. There is a Bradley Blind (Steel Pit) in one of the levees. There are numerous locations to build permanent or floating blinds giving you the ability to hunt the right blinds with the right wind, or it opens the avenue of generating income by leasing a few of the blinds to other hunters.
If the duck hunting is slow, don’t forget about the giant whitetails that roam these parts of the river bottom. This property has excellent pinch points and travel corridors, along with ideal locations for fall food plots to help hold deer on this property.
The property is an ideal waterfowl location l as it sits within a few miles of the well known “Hennepin Hopper” (Dixon Waterfowl Refuge), between Henry and Hennepin along the Illinois River – approximately 2 hours from downtown Chicago.
- Ducks Unlimited had a large influence and helped design this acreage making it an outstanding waterfowl property
- 5 water management cells where water can be controlled through culverts/riser systems
- 2 miles of constructed levee’s and galvanized steel culvers, risers and emergency spillways
- 150 acres can be dried out for annual crops of millet, buckwheat and corn (dry year) and rewatered/flooded
- Whitetail food plots being planted with tremendous trophy potential
- Very little hunting pressure with large neighboring land owners
- Access is excellent with Levees being large enough to drive vehicles through acreage
- Borings have been done for a high capacity water well
- Natural water can be utilized to flood cells through a gravitational method
- All water in water controlled areas is 2-3 feet deep safe for wading
- Levee construction was done to ensure waterfowl rest area will not be disturbed when accessing hunting locations
Here is a great opportunity to own a unique Waterfowl property along the Illinois River – just north of Henry, IL and only a few miles south of the well-known Hennepin-Hopper (Dixon Waterfowl Refuge). This property is primarily part of “Sawmill Lake” a back water Illinois River lake that is accessible by boat and within a few minutes ride of the public boat ramp in Henry. With 320 acres, this property could potentially offer several blind locations to hunt on different wind directions, or you could potentially lease a couple of blinds out each year to generate income.
- Unique Waterfowl property
- Along the Illinois River
- Potential revenue possible from blind leases
- Easy access from Rt 26 and from the public boat ramp in Henry